Waltz of Flesh
Noteworthy Edition Changes
This page will be populated with changes between Revised and 20th Editions that are significant and noteworthy.
Additionally, there will be links to House Rules that may or may not agree with the rules of this campaign. Some older rules or unique rules will be in place in this campaign, to achieve a specific effect, mood, or mechanic in this World of Darkness.
The 8th Sign
Cannon story for the World of Darkness now includes the story of Phoenix revealing an Eighth Sign in the last hours. Apparently he got tired of waiting for anyone but a few Camps and the Children of Gaia to figure shit out.
Backgrounds and Abilities: Required, Encouraged, Discouraged, and Restricted
20th Anniversary Edition rules make an early and solid distinction between these categories of Backgrounds or Abilities. Required statistics mean they are a requisite condition (i.e. Pure Breed 3+ is Required to be a Silver Fang). Encouraged means that a certain resource is more common or stereotypical to have for a group (such as Red Talons having a high Survival and Primal Urge). Discouraged is when it is uncommon, frowned upon, or just plain weird to have that kind of resource (like a Get of Fenris with a strong Mentor). Restricted statistics mean that without approval, such things just don’t happen (like a Glass Walker with Pure Breed or Silent Strider with Ancestors).
More than a few of these changed, so it’s important to note the biggest differences here.
- Athletics – This Talent has absorbed the Revised Talent Dodge.
- Expression – In this Talent, so long as you have at least 1 Dot, you must choose a Specialization. Several other Abilities gain a similar ruling.
- Leadership – This is now a Talent (no penalty for 0 Dots) and no longer a Skill (which would incur a +1 difficulty penalty if it were untrained).
- Crafts – In this Skill, so long as you have at least 1 Dot, you must choose a Specialization. Several other Abilities gain a similar ruling.
- Larceny – New Skill, covers theft and theft deterrence. Think of it less as Streetwise, and more of “Applied” streetwise.
- Performance – In this Skill, so long as you have at least 1 Dot, you must choose a Specialization. Several other Abilities gain a similar ruling.
- Academics – New Knowledge, covers detailed study and liberal arts. In this Knowledge, so long as you have at least 1 Dot, you must choose a Specialization. Several other Abilities gain a similar ruling.
- Investigation – This Knowledge’s purview changed slightly. Rather than dealing with lateral thinking (which shifted into Enigmas now, in the way that Dodge shifted into Athletics), Investigation now deals with the very popularized methods of police and private investigation work. More with forensics, evidence, and witness statements now, it’s less of a detailed search method and more of a practice of applied formal inquiry and analysis.
- Law – Now covers all forms! Mortal and Garou!
- Linguistics – No longer a Knowledge, this is now a 1pt-per-Language Merit called Language, and a 2pt Merit called Natural Linguist that will boost that to 1pt-per-two-Languages if you take them in conjunction.
- Science – In this Knowledge, so long as you have at least 1 Dot, you must choose a Specialization. Several other Abilities gain a similar ruling.
- Technology – New Knowledge. More like Crafts in a high tech fashion than Computer, which deals with operation rather than creation, maintenance, and repair. In this Knowledge, so long as you have at least 1 Dot, you must choose a Specialization. Several other Abilities gain a similar ruling.
Gifts, Rites, Fetishes, and Talens
There are a LOT more Gift choices to starting characters, and a few more Rites. Many are from previous Tribe Books and other sources. Choose carefully, some have had their effects or mechanics changed. Some additional Fetishes and Talens have been published here as well.
Multiple actions in the same turn now are managed differently. Determine which of the dice pools for the chose actions has the least dice. Then split that pool of dice into any number of actions attempted, leaving at least one die for each action to be attempted at once. (If you want to shoot with 12 dice while you also dodge with 4 dice, you will instead have a total of 4 dice to use for both actions combined. You could shoot with 3 and dodge with 1, shoot with 1 and dodge with 3, or split them 2 and 2.) Contrary actions have increased difficulties or may be impossible to attempt.
Stepping sideways now requires the use a reflective surface, rather than being something that makes the transition easier. The Weaver’s hold has tightened on this side of the Tellurian. Difficulties are still similar to the previous edition.
This one is a rather huge change. When damaging a spirit that is not manifest in the Material world, in Revised/3rd Edition had the damage roll at the difficulty of the spirit’s Rage (rather than a flat difficulty 6). In the 20th AE, the difficulty has been changed to the flat 6 difficulty. Essence totals tend to be modified to accomodate.